Release management thoughts for Dapper Drake

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 15 11:42:02 CDT 2005

<quote who="Ante Karamatic">

> So (nuking my idea), in your plan is there any place for updates?

I'm sure we'll still have a dapper-backports repository.

> We don't want to support distribution that no one will use, but we
> promised to support it for 5 years. We have to make dapper attractive when
> it's old too :)

People who want platform support for 5 years don't want new stuff, they want
stability (which means 'not changing', rather than 'robust').

> I'm comparing time with RedHat cause RHEL is distribution that people use
> mostly on their intranet, database, misson critical servers. Of course,
> since they have support from RH. But, the point is, you will have hard
> time finding someone using RH7 on those machines. Even RHEL2.1 would be
> almost impossible to find (and only 3,5 years are behind that
> distribution).

There are *many* people running RH7 (despite being EOL) and RHEL2.1. Heaps.

- Jeff

--
UbuntuBelowZero in Montreal!          http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBelowZero

     "It's never been, 'We're doing this for the good of society.' It's
     always been us taking an intellectual pride in putting out a good
   product - and making money. If putting a computer on every desktop and
     in every home didn't make money, we wouldn't do it." - Microserfs