Paul Puschmann lnx at uzulabs.net
Fri Oct 14 09:26:38 CDT 2005

Hi, I'm new to Ubuntu but use Debian for some time already.

When Breezy Badger was released I wanted to look at the Thin-Client
options and here are some things I want to announce:

At first I installed the "server", installed sshd and some other useful
packages and added the official apt-sources.
In Aptitude I changed the dependency settings to not installed
recommended packackes automatically.

Then I went after https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientHowto? and noticed
the that I couldn't log in. ltsp-build-client didn't fetch all
recommended packges (because of my aptitude-settings I think).
Error: .xsession not found (or similar)

Okay, after that I a new installation as "server" and did all the steps
from above (but did not change the aptitude-dependency-setting) .
Okay, the client boots up and I can log in. X seems to start, but this
is only the sdm (and x-server) restarting.

Okay, third try (I live fresh and clean systems) as "linux", with all
the usual standard packages. After some time I could do the same steps
as above and boot my client succesfully.

Perhaps someone should edit the Wiki-Page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientHowto? and submit proofed informations.
I don't know where the installation exactly hung on my first two tries.

Besides: I love apt-proxy :D

Kind regards, Paul
--
Linux-User #271918 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/