increase apt flexibility (for third party apps)

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Tue Oct 11 16:56:21 CDT 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:33:54 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Software which the user cannot build is one thing, but software which the
> distributor cannot build is unacceptable; such software cannot be updated
> to fix security vulnerabilities and should be either fixed or removed
> sooner rather than later.

Sure, I don't think I ever said it was a good idea to distribute software
you can't build (assuming the source is available), I was saying
that binary compatibility is not a strict superset of source
compatibility so sometimes source code can break and binaries remain
working. They're more like overlapping circles.

A lot of people seem to assume that autopackage is "hard" because binary
compatibility is "hard" relative to source compatibility and this just
isn't correct. They both take effort and commitment. Now we've wandered
rather off topic though :)

thanks -mike