wireless network idea

**** * ****** cmpfixer at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 13:34:41 CDT 2005

Monday October 10, 2005 (Ontario, Canada)

Dear all,
  I am Kyle Anthony Brooks from Toronto, Ontario, Canada and am a member of
the Ubuntu New User Network. I am sending you this e-mail to propose an
(major, in my opinion) new Graphical User Interface for the next version of
Ubuntu after Breezy.
  The new graphical user interface shall henceforth be called the "Wireless
Network Connection Interface".
  The Wireless Network Connection Interface will be a tool for making
wireless connections to the Internet or to a wireless network.
  The WNCI will, upon startup, do the following things (of course with user
input):
    1. If the user has a wireless card AND an ethernet card, it will suggest
that the user (if not already connected via the ethernet card) connect to
the internet via the card.
    2. Otherwise, it looks for any working internet interfaces (eth0, etc).
    3. Otherwise, it searches for working wireless cards and uses the first
one found.
    4. If, at this point, the WNCI cannot find a working wireless / wired
card, it points to a FAQ on the machine or another resource.
    5. If the WNCI *can* find a internet connection, then it informs the
user from where to download drivers and lets the user do that.
    6. The WNCI then prompts for a location to the Windows driver
information file (.inf), which the user will have downloaded already. When
the user directs WNCI to the .inf file, WNCI then does the following.
    7. The WNCI automatically checks to see if ndiswrapper is installed. If
not installed, it is installed.
    8. The WNCI checks to see if the modules are there by getting the kernel
revision with "uname -r". If not there, it is installed.
    9. The WNCI then runs ndiswrapper.
  Disclaimer: I do not own a wireless card, however I want to help users who
do so.
Thanks,
  Kyle Anthony Brooks