increase apt flexibility (for third party apps)

MadMan2k madman2k at gmx.de
Sat Oct 8 11:00:27 CDT 2005

Reinhard Tartler wrote:

>On 10/8/05, MadMan2k <madman2k at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>>there is one thing where every package manager from apt to emerge fails,
>>it is modular applications.
>>These mostly bring their own mini-package manager along, which is not
>>compatible to the native one
>>or even worse interferes with it.
>>
>>Two of these apps that I am using are, firefox and eclipse. The worst
>>case described obove happens with firefox and the
>>flash-plugin, which is avaible through apt, but also as a xpi.
>>Since the last way is the more user friendly one, the flash plugin will
>>most likely not show up in synaptic.
>>

>Most problems would go away automatically, if these program would
>behave more 'unixish' and don't assume they can write anywhere they
>want. This seems to be a habit on other operating systems.
>Prefereably, they would install their extensions in ~/.${PROGRAM} and
>fini.
>
>--
>regards,
>    Reinhard

try to look at it from the point of view, that a package management tool
should be as complete as possible.
Generally any package which consists of more than one file and has a static
location should be acquired by the package-manager.
There are effords to do so, which are visible with the
gnome-icon-theme-* packages.
But exactly these packages should be third-party maintained, since there
is no advantage if they are
maintained by the ubuntu team and you have only work with keeping them
up to date.

M2k