Software suspend is scary, and multiple booting

Peter Pregler Peter_Pregler at email.com
Thu Oct 6 06:12:18 CDT 2005

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 09:27:43PM +0200, Wouter Stomp wrote:
>
>>On 10/5/05, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>

>>I think there is one easy solution to this: make sure the hibernated
>>OS is selected and booted automatically in grub.
>

> There is an important difference between "easy to describe" and "easy to
> implement". :-)

I don't think it is that hard. You can already tell grub to boot a
specific image the next time. Something like:

echo "savedefault --default=${ENTRYNR} --once quit" | /sbin/grub
--no-curses --batch

What is not so obvious is to actually find out ENTRYNR. Passing it down
by grub (e.g. as a kernel-argument) might help. But what to do in
pathological cases, eg. the menu.lst changed? Sounds interesting. :)

-Peter