F-lock keycodes.

Carey O'Shea carey at internode.on.net
Wed Oct 5 20:22:59 CDT 2005

There is a large amount of "Multimedia" keyboards from Microsoft that
have an "F-lock" key. All the F1-F12 keys don't work at all by default
in Ubuntu Breezy Colony 5 when you turn the computer on, you have to
manually press the F-Lock key (this is very confusing for non-technical
users). They should be doing (according to Microsoft...) things like
Help, Undo, Redo, New, Open, etc, like they do by default under Windows.
This at least happens on few "Microsoft Multimedia" keyboards that I
tested myself, I'm not sure about all "F-lock" keyboards.

So I propose either changing the keys to function as their normal roles
(best option IMO), or make them do their "special" actions.

I've reverted my keys to act as normal F keys, with or without the
F-lock key on, by doing this:

setkeycodes bb 59 	# Help  -> F1
setkeycodes 88 60 	# Undo  -> F2
setkeycodes 87 61 	# Redo  -> F3
setkeycodes be 62 	# New   -> F4
setkeycodes bf 63 	# Open  -> F5
setkeycodes c0 64 	# Close -> F6
setkeycodes c1 65 	# Reply -> F7
setkeycodes c2 66 	# Fwd   -> F8
setkeycodes c3 67 	# Send  -> F9
setkeycodes a3 68 	# Spell -> F10
setkeycodes d7 69 	# Save  -> F11
setkeycodes d8 70 	# Print -> F12

Are there any drawbacks to doing the above?