Software suspend is scary, and multiple booting

Wouter Stomp wouterstomp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:27:43 CDT 2005

On 10/5/05, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 03:39:19PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

> > * The partitioner arranged to reuse the existing swap partition on my
> >   system.  This particular testbed has about 6 installs of various
> >   Debian and Ubuntu derivatives on it, all with the same swap.  So it
> >   is of course not safe to suspend to swap and resume unless there
> >   were some way of making sure that the right operating system
> >   resumes, or that the swap partition is not shared.
>
> This is not a typical configuration, and users like you know how to
> configure swap the way that they want it.

I think it is quite typical for users that install the development
version next to the stable version (hoary + breezy) to select the same
swap partition for it. I wouldn't have thought during installation to
create another swap partition, because I already had one.

I think there is one easy solution to this: make sure the hibernated
OS is selected and booted automatically in grub.

This is by the way what I would expect from a hibernate/resume
function: that it resumes to the situation I had directly rather than
dropping me in the grub menu.

Wouter.