gnome-app-install to remove package dependencies?

MadMan2k madman2k at gmx.de
Mon Oct 3 07:06:52 CDT 2005

The Saltydog wrote:

>On 10/3/05, Ricardo Pérez López <ricpelo at ono.com> wrote:
>

>>I think gnome-app-install must removes both mysql-admin and
>>mysql-admin-common, because none of them is used now.
>>
>>Is it planned for gnome-app-install to support this functionality?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Ricardo.
>>

>>--
>>

>I think that gnome-app-.install uses apt-get to remove packages. And
>when you remove  package <foo>, apt-get removes all packages that
>"depends" on <foo>, not those from which <foo> depends upon. And this
>is correct:  if you remove a gtk+ application, you don't want apt-get
>to remove also libgtk2 from your system...
>In your case, just remove mysql-admin-common, and it will also remove
>mysql-admin package.
>
>This is a metter of orphaning. I am working on a specific application for that.

have a look on arch-linux' pacman, which is more advanced than apt-get and
can therefore handle this problems.

basically you only have to be able do differ between packages which are
instaleld as a dependancy and
packages which are installed by user demand.

if the user now wants to uninstall <foo>:
- remove everything depends on <foo>
- remove <bar> which is a dependancy of <foo>
    unless:
       - <bar> is needed by another programm
       - <bar> was installed by user demand

and everybody is happy.