Breezy Icon Theme

Quim Gil qgil at interactors.coop
Sun Oct 2 23:35:05 CDT 2005

Just to enforce some of the comments said from a usability & Ubuntu
marketing point of view.

- The default theme shipped currently by Hoary is good enough to be the
current Ubuntu default theme. The art freeze is past anyway, so this
discussion must refer to the Drake.

- The Humility theme will be the very own Ubuntu default theme for
Dapper. Hopefully it will be completed by that time and most people will
simply love it.  :)  Humility will be part of the Ubuntu branding.

- Others will prefer to try something else (or keep the beloved themes
they are used to). Currently it is very easy for a non experienced user
to try and change themes as much as she likes. So no problem here.

- I wouldn't bother new Ubuntu users with a theme selection during the
installation process. We are putting so much effort diminishing the
number of steps that require user action during the installation, why do
we need to add now a non critical step.

- If the concern is that new Ubuntu (and free software) users realize
the wide variety of themes available, I would consider preinstalling
additional package(s) such as gnome-themes-extras. This way the user
find more themes to choose from in System -> Preferences - Themes
without digging with Synaptic. I'm pretty sure that scanning
System->Preferences is the typical action of new users interested in
customizing their desktop.

I think I will stay loyal to Gorilla, anyway.  ;)

--
Quim Gil      http://interactors.coop | http://desdeamericaconamor.org