Vesafb testing

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 30 13:19:12 GMT 2005

Hi Matthew!

Matthew Garrett [2005-11-29 19:13 +0000]:
> It would be immensely helpful if people who have working suspend/resume
> could upgrade to the latest acpi-support and kernel (at least
> 2.6.15-5.7) and let me know if suspend/resume still works if
>
> (a) You do nothing (ie, just the kernel upgrade)
> (b) You add vga=769 to your kernel boot options

I did these tests with amd64-generic 2.6.15-5.7 and the latest
acpi-support, usplash, etc. packages. STD worked perfectly in Breezy
for me. In current dapper, it works as well (in both cases), the only
regression is that I do not see the text mode screen with the two
progress bars on suspend any more. They were useful to see that the
computer was still 'doing' something; now the screen just goes black
and the computer powers off after a while.

When I activate vga=769 (b), the only visible difference in the whole
boot/suspend/resume/shutdown process is that the usplash image has
wrong colors (cyan for the Ubuntu word, blue/red for the slider, green
for 'ok'). I have the same boring 80x25 text mode virtual consoles
like before.

HTH,

Martin
--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?