Firefox 1.5 out

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski shot at hot.pl
Wed Nov 30 23:10:41 GMT 2005

Hello.

Christian Dröge:

> On Di, 2005-11-29 at 22:49 +0100, Nils wrote:

>> Where can I get packages for Breezy now?

> Probably never. Many packages depend on firefox and
> these packages need a rebuild, if it gets into Breezy.

That's true. Simple rebuild of 1.4.99+1.5rc3.dfsg-1ubuntu3 works under
Breezy as a browser, but breaks at least the System | Help function
(Yelp, I guess).

> Maybe this could be avoided by naming the binarys/librarys other
> than the shipped firefox and both versions will be installed...

What's the devel plan for when Mozilla drops security support for the
Firefox 1.0 branch? IIRC, backporting the security patches for Mozilla
products is a nightmare, but Breezy's Firefox is in main, so should be
supported by Canonical until April 2007... The same problem will most
probably arise for Dapper's Firefox support (especially considering
Dapper is to be supported until April 2011).

Did Debian came to any conclusion on how to support
sarge's Firefox when Mozilla drops the 1.0 branch?

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
               Compiling kernels on Debian is FUN! You're gonna
               be hooked.         -- Jeremy Brooks, debian-user