Sound config both in and out.

Till Varoquaux till.varoquaux at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 00:05:31 GMT 2005

Things should be going one better actually. Dmix doesnt' prevent you
to run Arts/esd/whartever else on top of it.  It emulates a mixer. The
main problem before was that only app at a time could access the
soundcard. The trick to get mutliple application playing sounds was to
have talke to a "server" (esd,polypaudio,jack you name it) this server
would then mix them together and send them to the card. There where
many probems from applications wantiung a different server than the
one running (mainly esd/arts issue) or wanting to access directly to
the sound card (skype for instance AFAIK).

The situation isn't all bright though: many application, although
using using alas need to be made dmix aware (mplayer for instance..).
So to sum it up:
_Running esd w/o dmix=solution for breezy
_Running esd on top of alsa+dmix gives you a fallback: when the
applications want to access directly to your soudcard it might work
(knck on wood).
_Dmix only: is better since esd is known to have problems (lags for
instance) and running dmix +esd is just plain stupid for the long
term...

The idea is to switch to pure dmix ,hopefully. Otherwise: Dmix+esound.
This is currently under testing phase so apps not working should have
bug filled.

Till

P.S. I hope this was more or less corect. Since I'm not part of any of
the teams I might very wrong, Do take my words with a grain of salt