John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Mon Nov 21 15:01:27 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 21:33 +0100, Ante Karamatic wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 18:57 +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
>
> > IMHO, what medium to boot from should be answered by the boot loader not
> > by initramfs.
>
> But booting operating system should know something about device it boots
> from, right? That's why there is initramfs to load usb modules and make
> booting from USB possible.

Of course, but with information from the bootloader there is no need for
probe and autodetection.

I can understand that a LiveCD is expected to boot in any environment so
there a robust probing is required. But an *installed operating system*
will probably be booted on the same hardware through out it's life.

Then there is the issue with USB input devices. I don't know how this
works exactly but isn't the bios capable of providing support for this.
Can a switch to USB drivers be done later in the boot so that usb driver

Regards,
John