Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Mon Nov 21 01:28:04 CST 2005

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 01:01:03PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> Apart from a few extra ia32-libs packages, we use the exact same
> design as Debian does.  The design is not documented outside the
> ia32-libs source package, to the best of my knowledge.

Ok, from its "debian/README.Debian" I now have a slightly better idea
how this works.  It's the "debian/rules" makefile which defines where
the various 32 bit libraries go on the AMD64 system, right?

I don't really understand the details, but it's the
"ia32-libs.preinst" and "ia32-libs.postinst" scripts which tweak
things so that the dynamic linker finds the right (32 vs. 64 bit)
versions of the shared libraries?

Unfortunately, my problem is that (beyond the first fixable error), I
haven't been able to tell WHY the the Oracle Java installer is failing
egregiously on Ubuntu AMD64 (see the thread below).  So digging around
in the ia32-libs package is premature at this point, but it does help
to understand a bit better how it really works.

  http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-November/012967.html

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/