Paul M Edwards pauledwards at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 21:48:07 CST 2005

On 11/20/05, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> > How much of the detection and module loading scheduling can be done at
> > kernel installation time?
>
> The kernel is only installed once, while hardware detection must be repeated
> with every boot.
>
> --
>  - mdz

I was thinking about this the other day and the question I posed to myself was:

"can we just do a MD5SUM on a device list and compare the result
against a previously stored value to determine whether the full
hardware detection is required?"

Surely it wouldn't be required at every bootup, only when the hardware
is changed.

Forgive me if this is a ridiculous question; I don't know exactly how
hardware detection works.
--
Paul M Edwards