Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 14:20:15 CST 2005

On 11/19/05, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 12:22:00PM -0800, George Farris wrote:
> > I had a new user ask me the other day what the message, "Your computer
> > may be too slow to use the burner", meant and what could be done.
> >
> > I went through the procedure of enabling DMA on the writer. I'm
> > wondering if in Dapper we could get a different message. Something
> > along these lines:
>
> In Dapper, our goal is to automagically enable DMA in the configurations
> where it works properly, so that no manual fiddling is necessary at all.

(my first post here, I hope the tone is right...)

Great, it's a definitive solution... but still does not invalidate the point
about the warning message in the general sense. If for some reason DMA is
misconfigured (either because the auto detection failed, or because the user
somehow turned it off), the error message would still be cryptic... for no
good reason.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos