Paul Byrne Paul.Byrne at Sun.COM
Fri Nov 18 12:10:34 CST 2005

Hi Daniel,

Apart from our updated Xserver most of our binaries are actually jar
files so I don't think they belong in /usr/lib itself, let me give some
more detail....

Currently for development we have everything under one directory, the
structure looks like this

lg3d
    ext                           Supporting jars for both core and
bundled apps
    ext-unbundled         Space for app specific supporting jars
    lib                           The main platform jars and native
.so's for X server binding
    resources                  Images etc
    bin                           Shell scripts to start everything
    etc/lg3d                    Config files

For deployment the etc/lg3d directory obviously becomes /etc/lg3d and
the scripts in bin probably belong in /usr/local/bin. For everything
else there seem to be a number of choices, the best of which I think are

1)  The .so's go in /usr/lib/lg3d and everything else goes in
/usr/share/lg3d. Apache-ant seems to follow this approach.

2) The .so's and all the jars go in /usr/lib/lg3d (various sub
directories) and the resources  go in /usr/share/lg3d

3) As we are providing a window system platform we follow the precendent
set by X and put everything (except etc) in /usr/lg3d as a sibling of
/usr/X11R6

OpenOffice and gcj seems to have jars in both /usr/share and /usr/lib

My preference would be either 1 or 3 as it keeps the bulk of the
components together. What do you think ?

Cheers

Paul