MadMan2k madman2k at gmx.de
Thu Nov 17 09:51:41 CST 2005

On Do, 2005-11-17 at 09:35 +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le mercredi 16 novembre 2005 à 23:34 +0100, MadMan2k a écrit :
>
> > > doesn't look like it's a high priority the gnome folks.
> > as you can see I opened some of them - but since there was no reaction
> > from the devs I had doubts that they read it at all.
>
> Just a not, the maintainers usually read the bug. Those are not trivial.
> That's not clear what is required and if that's an application bug to
> me. Other point, it's likely that most of the maintainer don't have a
> such mouse and so can't play with it even if they would like.
I know that fixing it on application level is probably not the best
solution - but that's why I am asking.
And thanks to Xmodmap you can send the side button events with your
scroll wheel as well.
So this should be not such a big issue..

> > Basically I want to upper the priority of this issue, so it will
> > be accepted as the default behaviour for GNOME apps.
>
> Is there many users having a such mouse? Are you sure that's an
> application issue?
I dont know any exact numbers, but this is not only limited to the MX
series - it basically applies to any mouse with two side buttons.
And since Windows supports the mouse-(forward|back) events in its
standard driver the number should be not negligible.
Furthermore many Windows apps support these events - a good example is
firefox, which has this support in the linux version as well.
And thats also the reason why I though of this as a application bug -
when I think more about it, it makes more sense offering a advanced
mouse configuration tool, where you can assign such events.

M2k