Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Tue Nov 15 15:21:33 CST 2005

John Nilsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 16:30 +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
>
>>	I have an iPod and want my podcast script run every hour
>>	while it's plugged in.
>
> What wrong with a daemon?
>

>>	I want my backup-db script run whenever postgresql is
>>	stopped.
>
> Hack the init script.
>

>>	I want apache run on my machine, and restarted whenever
>>	it crashes.
>
> Daemontools or runit or other similar alternative or just plain old init for that matter.
>
> But yeah something build on d-bus to support event
> dependencies ,something like Twisted's deferred, would be cool.

I've noticed that hal gets restarted when you restart dbus (and
upgrading issues a recommendation to reboot the whole computer). Is this
an Ubuntu specific problem, or is it something about dbus, that it
doesn't support hot restarts, or something. If dbus doesn't support hot
restarts, I wouldn't want to trust init to rely on it.

--
Tristan Wibberley