Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 15 10:30:33 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 17:18 +0100, Martin Schmeisser wrote:
> Scott James Remnant schrieb:
>
> >It has been rejected for dapper, which needs to be long-term
> >supportable.  We'll look into alternatives for dapper+1.
> >
> initng has recently become pretty usable (im using it myself). I guess
> it would need some love as it still seems to have problems with some
> alsa cards and nvidias but IMHO it would make good in dapper+1

*blink* and you entirely missed the point there <g>

initng is limiting, it's just an alternate way of doing the same thing
that we do now and is no better or worse than any other so-called
"dependency init" system from what I can tell.

I think that if we're going to replace SysVinit, we should shoot for
something a lot whole better; maybe something that can replace init,
cron, at, etc. in one swoop.

Perhaps something that could solve the use cases:

	I have an iPod and want my podcast script run every hour
	while it's plugged in.

	I want my backup-db script run whenever postgresql is
	stopped.

	I want apache run on my machine, and restarted whenever
	it crashes.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant