Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 13 15:28:52 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 21:23 +0100, Øivind Hoel wrote:
> For what it's worth, Windows XP boots a hell of a lot faster - all the
> way in - than Ubuntuu and gnome does. On my laptop, atleast. Even when
> I skip setting up the nonexistant ethernet connection on boot. A 45
> second boot time does't exactly help user-perceived performance when
> you show off Ubuntu to a friend, either ;-)

Windows boots in 40 seconds, to be honest, 5 seconds is not going to
make much of a difference. At least to my friends.

But the non-existant network connection is a bit of a problem, I think.
I noticed a spec that looks like it might have a stab at solving this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkMagic Its status is "approved. Needs
guidance. blocked". Not sure whether that means it will get implemented
or not.

Øivind, just a quick side comment on list etiquette: can you try and
bottom-post after a quote which you are replying to, and reply-to-list
rather than reply to all? Otherwise, I get two copies of your mails.
have a look at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ListiQuette for some vague
guidance.

Thanks!
mdke at ubuntu.com