Myles Green rmg57 at telus.net
Sun Nov 13 11:05:08 CST 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:10:58 +0000
Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 18:41 -0500, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > One thing I'd like everyone running dapper to keep an eye on is how
> > long it takes to boot, so I've put together a package you can all
> > install to help.
> >
> > Grab and install:
> >
> > http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/packages/bootchart_0.8-0ubuntu1_all.deb
> >

> > It starts in the initramfs, ie. as early as possible, and will run
> > throughout the boot process and audit everything that happens.  Once
> > logged in, you'll find png files in /var/log/bootchart -- feel free
> > to share these with people and discuss them.
>
> Didn't work for me. Perhaps my dapper install is a bit strange (I
> installed from a breezy colony 2 cd I had lying around and
> dist-upgraded). When I installed your package I got the error:
>
>         Setting up bootchart (0.8-0ubuntu2) ...
>         /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386 was been altered.  Cannot update
>
> Then when I booted there was nothing in the /var/log/bootchart folder.
>
> If you think this is worth fixing, and want me to debug, lemme know
> how I can help. Otherwise, I'll just try it on a slightly more
> standard dapper install.
>
> Matt

FWIW, I got the exact same results on a Breezy --> Dapper install. I've
rebooted several times since then and still, there's nadda in the
bootchart folder.

Best,
Myles
--
"We all get heavier as we get older because there's a lot more
information in our heads... So I'm not fat, I'm just really intelligent