sh at linux2go.dk sh at linux2go.dk
Thu Nov 10 06:12:36 CST 2005

Hi!

A few days ago, I had a chat with someone on #ubuntu about Samba.
He was wondering how to connect to samba on his Ubuntu box. He was used
to running Gentoo, where he could just use his regular username and
password. AFAICS that can be achieved in two ways:
 * Using unencrypted passwords
 * by integrating something like smbpasswd -L -a to adduser and the
   smbpasswd PAM module to the passwd PAM stack, we can automagically
   keep the samba user database in sync with the system one.

Using unencrypted passwords is a really bad idea.
If we want adduser to add a samba account we either need to rewrite
adduser to call smbpasswd directly or add some sort of mechanism for
calling hook scripts from adduser. The former would add a hard
dependency on Samba which is less than elegant, while the latter
method also would allow for other system specific stuff to happen
upon account creation, like sending a welcome mail to the user or what-
ever you want. Obviously the security implications need to be carefully
reviewed as the hook scripts will be passed the password of the newly
created user.

Thoughts?

--
| Soren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |