Rick Rocker debian_noob at web.de
Wed Nov 9 04:34:18 CST 2005

Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st> schrieb am 09.11.05 11:27:15:

> Hi Rick,
>
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 09:45:04AM +0100, Rick Rocker wrote:
> >

> > Dear devs of Ubuntu,
> >
> > I live in a industry state(Germany) and I use one of the
> > most known ISPs. I am a average-Joe-user and all
> > my friends are also average-Joe-users.
> > This I write to give "my" problem a broader context: IPv6
> > in the standard installation activated.
> >
> > I have no IPv6 hardware, my friends have no IPv6 hardware,
> > and as I know the ISPs of Germany have also not IPv6 "activated".
> >
> > Can you please deactivate IPv6 from the standard installation?
>
> I do not *personally* beleive that would be suitable, please read below
> for my reasons.
>
> > Every new installation of Debian(Ubuntu) gives at first a very
> > slow connection until the average-Joe-user goes and removes
> > the ipv6 modules and deactivates the ipv6 usage in Mozilla.
>
> Having IPv6 be the cause of 'slow' connection is actually a common
> misconception, reinforced in that disabling some IPv6 features may help
> mitigate the problem, in most cases it is the result of bad network
> configuration.
>
> IPv6 itself does not in any way slow down your connection, problems will
> arise however if you have a route out to the IPv6 internet but it is not
> operational, as the browser will try to connect and it will take a while
> to time-out, note this would also happen with a bad IPv4 internet
> connection.
>
> Another cause in the past has been bugs in programs (e.g. mozilla) that
> do the wrong thing internally, most of the major problems here have been
> fixed.
>
> As above, these issues would *only* happen if the website you are trying
> to connect to has an IPv6 address associated.  Another cause can be
> having an IPv6 name-server configured in resolv.conf or similar, in
> which case the problem would arise if you were trying to connect to
> *any* address.
>
> Most people do not have a problem with having IPv6 enabled, it
> simply is un-used when not in use.
>

> > What I does not understand is why is it activated as there is
> > very little support of this thing!?
> >

> There is 'little' support because we are currently in a 'transition'
> phase, where over time people will come to use IPv6, if it is disabled
> everywhere, obviously this transition will be hindered. (It will,
> however, probably be many years before a migration to IPv6 is at a point
> of actually being a mass change)
>
> > That Debian has it activated I can understand because they make
> > a distro for everyone (admins, devs, users) but I does not understand
> > it in the Ubuntu case as this is a distro for Joe-average, isn?t it?
> >
> > And see it from this side: If someone today needs IPv6 then this person
> > is something like a admin or a developer, he will know how to activate it
> > after the standard install. All other persons (I think) does not know
> > how to disactivate it AND does not need it AND all they get is a slow
> [...]

Sir, thanks for all the explanations, I didn´t understand one word.
But what I understand is that this big - as in many users - debian forum
in Germany has so much questions to deactivate IPv6 - my question included
some time ago - that they have made a wiki page to show how to do it:
http://www.debianforum.de/wiki/?page=IPv6+deaktivieren
I have this problem also so I have to this procedure every time I install
a Debian (-based) distro.

But, thank you all for your answers.

your humble
debian_noob