PostgreSQL transition ahead

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue May 31 04:39:28 CDT 2005

Hi!

Since it was requested to announce the bigger breakages in advance:

Three months ago I announced the first alpha versions of the new
architecture of the PostgreSQL packages [1]. Now, a few months later,
They are mature enough to be used in actual production environments.
As already discussed shortly in the last TB meeting, I would like to
put them into Breezy soon. The packages have lived in Debian
experimental for a while now and are tested by several people (who
also write bug reports). Currently they have no open bugs.

I do not develop the Sarge/Hoary package architecture any more since
it is a pain to maintain and also a pain for users when it comes to
upgrading to major releases. The new architecture is much easier to
handle and to use (see [2] for a short intro). I will upload the new
packages into Debian Sid as soon as Sarge is released anyway, and I
don't want to drag these packages longer than necessary.

I will upload the server, client, and common packages at Monday next
week. This has a reasonably big impact of the archive since the
package structure changed a bit wrt to other packages:

(1) postgresql-dev was split into libpq-dev (for client apps like
    postfix or pygresql) and postgresql-server-dev-<version> for server
    extensions (like postgresql-plruby and postgresql-ocaml).

(2) PostgreSQL 8.0 brought a new SONAME for libpq (libpq4), which
    removed a few symbols which were only intended for internal use,
    but were used nevertheless by some client apps (like "psql").
    libpq4 can talk to all PostgreSQL servers back to 7.3 (same like
    libpq3).

(1) makes several packages FTBFS since they build-depend on
postgresql-dev. For main, this affects:

  courier cyrus-sasl2 dovecot exim4 libapache2-mod-auth-pgsql libgda2
  nagios nagios-plugins php4-pgsql pike7.6 postfix psycopg pygresql
  python-pgsql qt-x11-free

If the new packages are in the archive, I will update these packages
to use libpq-dev and build against libpq4 (see (2)). This also affects
a great deal of universe packages:

  aolserver-nspostgres aolserver4-nspostgres asterisk bacula cl-sql cvm
  cyphesis-cpp dak dbbalancer dbmail flow-tools gambas gdal gnade gnokii
  gnugk gnustep-dl2 gphotocoll gql grass guile-pg guile-simplesql
  haskell-hsql hk-classes jabberd2 koffice libapache-mod-acct
  libapache-mod-auth-pgsql libdbd-pg-perl libdbi-drivers libgda
  libnss-pgsql libpg-perl libpgsql-ocaml libpgsql-ruby libpqxx mapserver
  mit-scheme mnogosearch motion mydns nufw pam-pgsql pdns perdition
  pgadmin3 pgeasy pgplsh php3 pike7.2 pike7.4 plr pmacct postgis
  postgresql-ocaml postgresql-plruby prelude-manager proftpd pure-ftpd
  python-popy qgis snort specter sqlrelay sqlxx tac-plus teapop ulogd
  www-sql wzdftpd yate

I will process them as well as far as my time permits, maybe I can get
some support from some dedicated MOTU? The client apps should be
reasonably easy (if they compile with libpq-dev, they will work; if
they don't compile (not expected) we need to do some actual work to
fix them). The server extensions are a bit more delicate since ideally
they would be built for both 7.4 and 8.0 which requires some packaging
change. But for the sake of a quick transition it is probably easier
to build them for 8.0 only for now.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Martin

[1] http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-February/004737.html