Virus checker on the live CD?

Molot molotster at gmail.com
Fri May 20 02:10:40 CDT 2005

On 5/19/05, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
> Not sure how it does it, but Synaptic will let me add repos.  I see the new repos
> in /etc/apt/sources.list, but that file and fs are RO, so not sure what magic is
> going on there.
I dunno either. Aslo, my internet connection requires some work (adsl,
ppoatm), so usually i don't have it running under any live-cd. To bad
that in Poland it is one of most popular internet connections now...
So not so many people (at least in my country) would be able to do
that.

Aslo, if someone knows how to install antivirus + captiva on live-cd,
he propably is experienced enought to do anything he need without any
help from ubuntu-devel :]

> Now the problem is I don't know of a repo that has captive-ntfs.
>
> For "inexperienced users", I am not sure I want them trying to update NTFS anytime
> soon, using any technology.  They get the "you have a virus - these are the files,
> here is some info and here a URL with more info."
>
> for "somewhat experienced techs" (me) that are normally the ones asked to help
> with virus problems it would be nice.
>
> cfk
>
> Molot wrote:
> > ekhm... on live-cd  it is NOT easy to install any repo. And if this
> > live-cd is meant to be a tryout for inexperienced users,  we can
> > assume it is impossible for all who may be interested in it...

> >>Indeed.  I think being alerted to a virus is most important, getting info about
> >>2nd, and doing something about it 3rd.
> >>
> >>Also, it is "easy enough" for someone to add the needed repositories and install
> >>Captive if needed.  Personally, I would prefer that the default behavior of a
> >>virus scanner it to just identify and inform, not try and do anything about it.
> >>
> >>I am assuming that "all modern scanners" will pull an updated fingerprint file?
> >>
> >>Carl Karsten
> >>
> >>--

Advocatus Diaboli - someone should do this job.

some kind of Molot
some kind of monster ;)

jid:molot at mruk.net
alt mailto:molot at mruk.net