system restore for ubuntu -- few ideas.

Mircea MITU mmitu at bitdefender.com
Wed May 18 14:40:02 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 15:27 -0400, Michael Beattie wrote:
> On 5/18/05, Mircea MITU <mmitu at bitdefender.com> wrote:

> > > My first question about this proposal is:
> > >
> > > Why would you want system state tracking in Ubuntu?
> >
> > 1. Because "shit happens" (tm)
> > 2. What if I hit a very special bug which screws-up glibc or dpkg/apt
> > completely?
>
> can always use
>
> apt-get install libc6=[version]

I can use apt-get if apt-get and glibc are still usable.
But what if the packages are totally broken?

PS. Yes, I know, I can use a rescue system and backups, but it will be
much easier and much more intuitive for the average desktop user to have
a "Roll-Back to yesterday's version" option at boot time.

For more information please visit http://linux.bitdefender.com/