system restore for ubuntu -- few ideas.

Martijn van de Streek martijn at foodfight.org
Wed May 18 11:39:52 CDT 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Robert Jameson wrote:

> I was thinking today about the possibility to make it so users can
> restore back to a previous state -- this could be done using some
> tracking information in dpkg and apt-get & synaptic.

My first question about this proposal is:

Why would you want system state tracking in Ubuntu?

The only reasons I can think of for doing it in Windows are the one-way
trip to DLL Hell and system instability. DLL Hell is prevented by the
packaging system, and ensuring system instability is why we have testing
releases and only security fixes in released versions.

I can agree with backups (dpkg data, list of installed packages, changed
conffiles and /home basically), because disks tend to blow up a lot..
but that's not exatly "state tracking".

Martijn
--
Q:	What’s tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?