C++ ABI change, a breezy bit of badger, starting next week

Jay Berkenbilt ejb at ql.org
Fri May 13 15:11:53 CDT 2005

Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> - We limit the automatic import of packages from the Debian archives
>   for a while (having a list of C++ packages which will not be imported)
>   Same thing for manual uploads to Breezy.

Presumably, some currently unmodified debian packages will need to be
modified to work with g++ 4.0, but then they can go back to being
unmodified after debian's post-sarge C++ ABI change.  (I somewhat
followed the thread on debian-devel about the C++ ABI change
proposal.)  Will there be some general mechanism to deal with this?
I'm sure some packages will need patches to the code but others will
just need changes to runtime library names.  I maintain a handful of
C++ packages for debian (mostly libraries), and I would be eager to
keep the Ubuntu versions equal to the debian versions as is the case
now.  At a minimum, I'll plan to monitor the Ubuntu versions packages
that I maintain for debian and, if necessary, post to Ubuntu's
bugzilla when I upload versions that should work unmodified with
Ubuntu.  Is this a sound approach?

I hope my debian-maintainer-centric post on this topic isn't taken in
the wrong way -- I plan to become more involved with Ubuntu when my
schedule lightens up a bit, but before that happens, I at least want
to be an Ununtu-friendly debian developer. :-) Anyway, I imagine
others will have similar concerns.  Thanks.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ejb at ql.org>