Printing changes required.

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed May 11 02:28:42 CDT 2005

Hi!

Michael Hunt [2005-05-11 14:55 +0800]:
> I think this is an adequate solution for the 'no listening ports' policy
> but I suspect something needs to be done for the user who wants to share
> there printer with another client (Linux/Mac/Win).

For Linux+CUPS this happens automatically with CUPS browsing. For
Windows you can always use IPP to talk to your printer, i. e. setup a
network printer with the URL

  http://your.cups.server:631/printers/yourprintername

That works fine for my fellows.

> As far as I understand it this requires hand editing the cups.conf
> file which may not be in the realm of a novice user.

I don't think so. You need to edit your smb.conf if you want to export
it through Samba, though.

> Also this doesn't take into account the extra steps needed to share
> a printer with a Windows client (installation and configuration of
> samba is required for that).

See above, Windows 2000 upwards support IPP.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt              http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer   http://www.ubuntulinux.org