Printing changes required.

Sami Haahtinen ressu at ressukka.net
Tue May 10 23:56:39 CDT 2005

George Farris wrote:
> Something that would be nice in Breezy is:
>
> 1) Being able to rename or just plain name a printer.

This is a good idea, the current way that the pritner manager names the
printers will cause headaches if you have 2 printers of the same type in
the same network. Or the network printer is changed to another printer
and you just update the driver assuming that the name follows.

> 2) Being able to edit the printer connection. This has bitten me a
> couple of times and *^%##@&*^*) it's frustrating.  It looks like it
> edits but it never changes.

Both of these have the same solution (1 and 2) just recreate the
printer, it's not that complicated process. But i agree with you, it
should be possible from the tool to edit the connection itself too.

> 3) Browsing for printers would be nice as well.

Browsing is harder to implement when you consider the 'no listening
ports' policy. I just wish that someday the cups people will consider
IPv6 as the 'browsing' protocol. Life would be so much fun if the
printer information was sent to a organization wide multicast address.

Ah well, IPv6 will never come, IPv4 addresses are infinite. If IPv4
works, why replace it? Right?!

- S

--
( having a blast listening to di.fm over v6 ;)