Hoary install and HomePNA card (pcnet32)

Oliver Grawert hostmaster at grawert.net
Mon May 2 15:55:20 CDT 2005

hi,
Am Sonntag, den 01.05.2005, 19:31 +0300 schrieb Hile Tuohela:
> Just installed hoary to my friend's old PC (Dell Optiplex GX1),
> everything else went smoothly but the homepna card was recognized
> incorrectly during install.
>
> The card description in the list where you select which card to
> configure said 'HomePNA' for this card, but actually the driver
> (pcnet32) was still using ethernet mode -> DHCP failed.
please regard that the usage of hpna (ethernet modulated on top of
normal phone lines inside biuldings) is a very rare case currently and
there are many pcnet32 chipset based ethernet cards using this
driver....

i agree that the desired behavior should be a correct autodetection and
since the hpna feature seems to be only for 79C978 cards we can probably
have a working autodetection based on the hardware database data for
breezy here but until then the default behavior for such generic drivers
should be to use rather the most common settings (which in this case is
ethernet).

it would be helpful for breezy development if you could:

1. run your device database client (from Applications->System Tools)
2. run the app a second time to determine the hwdb ID from it
3. file a bug report assigned to me in bugzilla about the issue
including this ID, so i can try to track it down and probably find a way
to autodetect 79C978 cards in the future...

thanks for helping

ciao
	oli