Hoary install and HomePNA card (pcnet32)

Hile Tuohela hile at nixu.com
Sun May 1 11:31:53 CDT 2005

Just installed hoary to my friend's old PC (Dell Optiplex GX1),
everything else went smoothly but the homepna card was recognized
incorrectly during install.

The card description in the list where you select which card to
configure said 'HomePNA' for this card, but actually the driver
(pcnet32) was still using ethernet mode -> DHCP failed.

Maybe we should ask for pcnet32 module does the user use it in
ethernet or homepna mode and configure the module accordingly:
you should give parameter homepna=1 to module options if homepna
is used. Or, if the card is recognized as homepna this option
should probably be default? I don't even know can you use these
cards in ethernet mode, even if the driver allows it.

I fixed this with following command:
echo 'options pcnet32 homepna=1' > /etc/modprobe.d/pcnet32

And of course I had to add the card manually to interfaces file,
echo 'iface eth0 inet dhcp' >> /etc/network/interfaces

    *hile*