ubuntu-xxx dependencies & group assignment for sound & co

Paul Roeland paul.roeland at milieudefensie.nl
Thu Mar 31 09:42:28 CST 2005

Adrian Gschwend wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:46:47 +0200, Paul Roeland wrote:
>

>>same problem here. We haven't found an "ideal" solution, but this works,
>>although it's slightly ugly:
>

> [...]
>
> ok thanks for the hints! Maybe we should start do do a wiki entry about
> Ubuntu mass deployment stuff, I guess we are not the only one which wants
> to use it in a bigger environment and maybe we can influence the future of
> Ubuntu as well a bit in some regards to make it a bit more friendly for
> such use.

Good idea. I'll try to do this next monday. Points which we tweaked so
far, to get our hoary clients to play nice with LDAP auth and central
management:

- setting permissions in /etc/udev/*

- restarting udev after network initialisation

- configuring /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf so that sends the hostname to the
dhcp-server, which can then bind this into DNS. This should be the
default, imho, it does not hurt if you don't run your own DNS but helps
a lot if you do...

- enabling root, disabling sudo, disabling update-notifier

- configure cups to be *just* a cups-client and not play server

- a little script that picks an xorg config based on a hardware query
(our client machines are unfortunately a mixed bunch with different
graphics cards, and monitors with different capabilities tend to be
switched around regularly...)

and, of course, using extra packages like pam_mount for remotely mounted
homedirs and fileshares plus the usual pam_ldap, nssswitch and pam.d
stuff. This is where Ubuntu makes life easy; configure pam_mount to
mount the shares under /media and they show up nicely on the user's
desktop...

Paul Roeland
sysadmin for Friends of the Earth Netherlands