ubuntu-xxx dependencies & group assignment for sound & co

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 09:31:36 CST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:38:37 +0200, Adrian Gschwend
<adrian.gschwend at bfh.ch> wrote:
> - we do not want to install stuff like ppp and
> arabic/chinese/whatever fonts on our systems. We simply don't need it. Now
> we tried to get rid of them but we noticed that those things are most of
> the time a dependency in ubuntu-base or alike packages. Is there a
> special reason why all of that gets installed by default? Doesn't make
> much sense to me IMHO. What is the recommended way to get rid of those
> packages without breaking Ubuntu or without getting them the next time we
> do an update? Our disks are not that big on some machines and we have a
> dualboot with Windows so disk usage matters for us.

Is there enough space to install all and then do a big apt-get remove,
in a script? ubuntu-base, ubuntu-desktop, etc. are metapackages that
are safe to remove if you are using a stable release. My understanding
is that you'd only run into problems when you do a dist-upgrade to the
next release (since the contents of the metapackages may change). But
in a university environment, you'd most likely just wipe and reinstall
from scratch, so that shouldn't be a problem.