CDCustomizer

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Wed Mar 30 17:42:30 CST 2005

Michael Anckaert wrote:
> Op vr, 25-03-2005 te 19:44 -0500, schreef John Richard Moser:

>>Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>>>Not really; basic command-line skills are enough:
>>>
>>>http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/LiveCDCustomizationHowTo
>>>

>>Seen it, done it.
>>
>>My mom wouldn't be able to do it; and I'm lazy, I don't WANT to do it,
>>even though I can.
>>
>>I could probably call this a "productivity enhancement," but how
>>productive is customizing livecds anyway?  Maybe if you count being a
>>ricer as "productive" . . . .
>>

>>>This will become easier in the future, but for now, it's actually quite
>>>straightforward.  The instructions should be revised to include an optional
>>>step to make a complete fresh copy of the filesystem to avoid losing space
>>>due to freed filesystem blocks, but otherwise it works well.
>>>

> I don't mind you being lazy, not at all. But I don't like to see folks
> go somewhere and yell: "I want this and that and that! Build it for
> me!!!"
> You have a great idea, so why don't you start working on it?

I never demanded that anyone do it.  It's a nice idea and I've tried to
justify it.  I could make a tool, but it'd be ugly, hackish, and
wouldn't work too great.  I've unpacked and repacked and added files to
LiveCDs, but the finer things escape me.

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond