Release candidate is out, uploads may resume

Brandon Hale brandon at smarterits.com
Wed Mar 30 17:16:35 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 07:28 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="George Farris">
>
> > Any chance of having mono in universe upgraded from 1.0.5 to 1.0.6 so we
> > can run Beagle?  I realize this breaks the freeze but in a small way:-)
>
> Mono is not in main. Brandon is looking into 1.0.6 and 1.1.x, to see which
> is the least scary (apparently, 1.0.6 has a few problems).
>
> - Jeff

Mono 1.0.6, I am told by a reliable source, has threading issues (or
more than usual).  Mono 1.1.X is proclaimed by the Novell Mafia to be
the "bee's knees" and demand that all bow before its greatness. However,
there is a *serious* packaging transition between Debian 1.0.x and Mono
1.1.4.  Diverging from Debian is not cool.

Major issues:
1) Debian currently has Mono as two source packages, mono and mono-mcs.
1.1.4 would be once source.
2) Debian installs mono in non-standard locations. This needs to be
undone lest upstream eats us.
3) The 2 source packages split up into many more binaries, which need to
be totally redone to reflect the move back to /usr/lib/mono.

#1 is sort of addressed in unofficial packages.

Options are as follows:

1) Novell wants me to package Mono as they do. This involves 2 packages
total, mono and mono-devel.  This is a nice simplification, but it
requires rebuilding every mono package, and diverges us from Debian.

2) Solve all the issues listed above. So far I have taken small whacks
at this, I just started a new job and time, and more importantly
patience for this is limited.

3) Wait for Debian to fix their own mess.
This will definately cause us to miss Hoary, as nothing seems to be
happening on this front. Track progress at
http://wiki.debian.net/?MonoDebianPlan

Discuss away!

---
Brandon Hale