Auto Package

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Wed Mar 30 09:37:19 CST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:54:47 -0500, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy wrote:
> 1. How do you propose handling conflicts between dpkg and autopackage?
> For example, gaim is (I think) installed as part of the base install.

The idea is to integrate with dpkg (and rpm) at install time so apt
thinks the package is installed.

Exactly how that will occur isn't documented on the website, but it's
something we've discussed in depth and there are various design docs
floating around in private webspaces etc. In other words we have a fairly
solid design plan for this, it just remains to be seen how well it works
once implemented.

As for upgrades of libraries breaking things, well that is what the
interface stability rules are for ;) If the Ubuntu/Debian packages are
patched in such a way that they're incompatible with upstream then it
might become a problem but hopefully this doesn't happen much (or at
all).

thanks -mike