Auto Package

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue Mar 29 16:26:02 CST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:27:50 -0800, Corey Burger wrote:
> But I am saying that if you teach users that only apt is safe, then
> there is much less likelyhood that they will get malware through their
> own actions.

That excludes commercial software entirely. Unless you believe that
commercial proprietary software is going to completely disappear in the
next few years I don't think that solution is going to work. There will
always be a new World of Warcraft, always a new Skype just around the
corner.

I don't think anybody is going to not run anything outside of apt on the
grounds that it might not be safe, especially if all their friends
installing Skype or WoW or whatever and found it was OK. That's similar to
GUI warning fatigue - if you can try something you were told is dangerous
and 95% of the time it works out OK, then you just end up ignoring the
warnings.

thanks -mike