Auto Package

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 13:46:22 CST 2005

Probably for me the biggest reason not to allow autopackage has to do
with trust and security.

Installing random stuff off the internet is described as a-bad-thing.
However, Windows machines do it all the time, and observe the end
result.

By contrast stuff that is a repository has at least gone by one
person, who probably has the technical knowledge to look at it and see
if it is a rootkit.

The bigger problem behind this however is users. User cannot tell the
difference between a rootkit and not. This is demonstrable. Again
observe windows. Thus users should never every, IMHO, get into the
idea that software comes off the internet. If we break that mental
connection, we will have gone a long way to combatting malware.

Corey