Auto Package

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 29 11:24:50 CST 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 06:18:54PM +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:

> - Software getting rapidly out of date. In Hoary, Inkscape and Gaim
>   are already out of date. These aren't minor insignificant apps!

Hoary has been in a state of freeze for months now.  The fact that these
applications are held at older versions is intentional and beneficial for
stabilization.

> - Software not being packaged at all

If an application is simple enough to be packaged by autopackage, then it is
scarcely more work to package it properly, and this provides a base for
future work on the package.  By learning to package software, you would also
then be able to help work on other existing packages, and contribute in
other ways.

> Saying "there are better ways of solving the problems that it tries to
> address" isn't very enlightening I'm afraid. The only way I can see to
> avoid the inertia and stagnation that Debian ended up with without
> decentralising is by keeping the package repositories small (which is
> what main is) or large and sometimes broken, like universe/unstable. And
> that has all the problems debated time and time again in many forums.

That may be the only way that you can see, but there are many ways, and we
intend to explore them.  We are well aware of the potential problems that
you describe.

--
 - mdz