installing python-kde3 in hoary

Dennis Schaaf dennis.schaaf at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 22:37:45 CST 2005

Hi,

I've been having a lot of trouble installing pykde. The problem seems
to be that python 2.4 is now the official version and that pykde is
compiled for python 2.3. I installed 2.3 also, but I still can't
install pykde. I keep getting this error message

python-kde3:
  Depends: python (<2.4) but 2.4-0ubuntu6 is to be installed
 Depends: python2.3-kde3 but it is not going to be installed

Then I thought I could force the 2.3 version but then I get while the
sy ystem is trying to remove python 2.4:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/python2.4-sip-qt3_3.10.2-1ubuntu1_i386.deb:
 trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sipconfig.py',
which is also in package python2.4-sip4-qt3

when trying to install kde-devel to manually compile pykde I got even
more dependency problems. Do you guys have anything to suggest? I am
not sure what information you need to diagnose.

dennis