PHP5 packages in work?

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 20:28:17 CST 2005

> sad to hear that, since ubuntu and debian use the same source it should
> be a great server system as debian is. and in fact we all want to make
> it rocking on the server and fight the myth that ubuntu is a desktop
> only distribution. (just imagine the improvements ubuntu has made for
> desktop systems adapted on the server side)

there was a excellent suggestion a few weeks ago to make it more front
and center in various pages on the web site  and in future "sales"
pitch the fact that Ubuntu is a great server platform in addition to
the desktop, and Canonical/Ubuntu people use Ubuntu for most (all?) of
their servers. (which I suspect takes more and more of a beating with
the increased popularity of the distro).  And as I write this I just
noticed  that indeed you see it right on the main ubuntu web page:
"Ubuntu is suitable for both desktop and server use".

But it's true I have seen that misconception many time in recent
months:  Ubuntu is fine for the desktop, and leave the "serious"
server work to plain Debian.   I suspect it's one of those
misconception that will need to be defeated one server at the time as
more and more system admin get more confident in the OS for day-to-day
server use.