Update Ogg Vorbis / Ogg Theora?

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Sat Mar 26 13:27:56 CST 2005

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 12:54:30PM -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
>

>>Bah  :)  Oh well, I'm waiting for 5.11 anyway, so looks like all the
>>good stuff goes to Hoary+1
>

> It's easy to forget how many improvements have gone into Hoary when you've
> been tracking it throughout the release cycle.

Oh it's way above warty, no doubt.

I'm just more concerned with OOo 2.0 (which I guess won't make it to
Hoary at the rate OO is coming) and gcj (to get around OO using Java
beh!), and proactive security a la the Hardened Ubuntu people.

The nice thing is that Ubuntu, as with other distributions, has a very
large dev team.  The security stuff I want to see is handled by security
people; while other people handle the UI intrinsics and synaptic
enhancements; while others still work on getting OOo in; and others hold
up parts of the Universe.  There is no focusing of effort in one place
slowing the rest down, and (as demonstrated between Warty and Hoary)
Ubuntu does not handle "one small problem at a time" release-wise.  At
least, that is as my observation; I don't develope for Ubuntu so I don't
know what goes on deep inside.

I'm quite happy with Ubuntu development, as pretty much all the stuff I
want to see is handled by different parts of Ubuntu's team, and can
probably all make it to Hoary+1; if not, a good bit will anyway, and the
development for the rest will be there.

If I didn't think Ubuntu was actually moving along, I wouldn't be using
it; I'd be on Gentoo still (which btw I only moved from because I want
to be around to test any new stuff that gets to Ubuntu; Gentoo isn't for
your average user).

> There is always "one more thing" that would be nice to have, but getting a
> stabilized release out the door is more important.

Yes, I'm well aware of this.  I'm very, *very* potent with my arguments
when I think someone is flat *wrong*, trust me, I'm annoying and I don't
go away.

>>Times like this make me wish there was a nearmiss repository for "new
>>software that almost made release, but didn't."  :P
>

> We call it "Breezy".

Linku plz kthx ^_^

- --

    new problems waiting out there.