Update manager and synaptic

George Farris farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Thu Mar 24 17:06:28 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 23:46 +0100, Michael Vogt wrote:
> I don't quite understand. When I open the repostiory editor in
> synaptic and click on "Add" and then check the "universe" checkbox
> (under components), it will add "universe" to the reporitory. It does
> not remove "main" (the "Officially supported" component) from the list
> of sources.
>
> If you later want to remove "universe", you need to click on the edit
> button and remove "universe" from the "component" list. The problme
> seems to be that a single source can have multiple components (like
> "main", "universe") and that removing components is something
> different than removing all the source.

This is certainly counter intuitive.  One should be able to just remove
the "Universe" component and not have it remove main.  Choosing the
"Edit" button is IMHO not the way to go.

> The latest version of update-manager comes with a "Help" button that
> also explains about the repository editor. I'm happy about suggestions
> how we can make the behaviour easier for the user :)

All users I have introduced Hoary to at the Cowlug users group and that
now run it, run into difficulties with this.  They want to enable main,
hit reload and just have the updates pertaining to main.  If they add
universe then they later remove it so they just get the updates in main.

I looked at apt_preferences and believe me it is no place for a newbie,
just plain bad idea.

> --
> Linux is not The Answer. Yes is the answer. Linux is The Question. - Neo

NT is not the answer, it is the question. No is the answer:-)

George Farris   farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Malaspina University-College