Perl/TCL threads

Matthias Klose m at klose.in-berlin.de
Wed Mar 23 17:28:52 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 14:35 -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:

> On Gentoo, I ran for several months with USE="threads ithreads" for
> Perl, TCL, and TK.  This enables threaded interpreters and such, but
> "may break some apps."
>
> In my experience, once Perl/TCL/TK is compiled threaded, the ABI is
> different, but the API is the same.  Thus, xchat's perl/tcl plug-ins,
> and anything else linked against the perl, TCL, TK, etc libraries, must
> be recompiled against the new libraries.  Scripts are fine.
>
> Does ubuntu use threads in the interpreter languages?  If not, and
> nothing in main breaks from it, I'd like to see this.  It's not
> immensely important, though.

Tcl/Tk is compiled threaded. Tkinter is supposed to work with the
threaded Tcl/Tk, although not all applications using Tkinter assume a
threaded Tcl/Tk.

"If you have created a toplevel in a Tk thread, it should only be
accessed by the thread in which it was created.  This is
because Tcl uses apartment model threading (like Perl).  A
toplevel or widget that is created in one Tk thread only exists
in that thread."

note taken from python issue 112997.

  Matthias