ogg radios for rhythmbox

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 12:12:52 CST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:16:40 -0600, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
> Lets examine who would benefit from each side:
>
> Clean box: Admins, Schools, Students, Libraries, Office workers, IT
> staff, Managers, many home users.
>
> Box with MP3 and other clutter: Kids.

I can't imagine this will be out of the administrator's control, given
that they control the package management. (Users can always install
anything they want in ~/bin, of course).

I don't want to belabor this point, and I'll shut up immediately after
just mentioning that (as you said) there are professions and
businesses that do need multimedia. Journalists, for example,
frequently need access to restricted multimedia formats. I'm an editor
on a wire service and a whole ton of breaking news happens over
restricted multimedia formats on the internet  (company earnings
conferences and financial analyst meetings, to just take two
examples). I don't expect Reuters, Dow Jones, Associated Press or
Bloomberg to switch to a Linux desktop any time soon (other than for
development), but they would save millions if they did. A clearly
*legal* way to do that, with a third-party application, would do
nothing to diminish the freedom of Ubuntu and would be a plus for
business users, I'd think.