Seperate /boot/grub partition

Rich Rudnick nickrud at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 22 00:46:44 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 20:42 -0800, Svend Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:44:18 -0800, Rich Rudnick <nickrud at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > It's not that /boot/grub is in a separate partition, but the
> > interactions between the way you've linked the two directories and where
> > you've mounted the partition.
> >
> > You should remove the boot and grub links, create a directory called
> > grub at the top level of /dev/hda1 and move the grub files there.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but if I move the files to a /grub
> subdir, then mount that partition at /boot/grub, won't the files be in
> /boot/grub/grub?

I'm confused here... Ok, now I'm a little less confused. But I'm not
sure what you're trying to accomplish... oh, leave the images in /boot
in each install, and have one master grub.lst... <remind self to read
more carefully>... (can't do that with lilo, damn grub)... Ok maybe I
see the light :)

I don't have a clue if you can move those grub files around like this,
but if what you're looking for is something like

/-
 -bin
 -boot/ (hoary)
       ---------------
/-                   |
 -bin                |
 -boot/ (hoary)      |
 -bin                |
 -boot/ (debian)     |

and grub is /dev/hda1, then get rid of the symlinks and just
mount /dev/hda1 on /boot/grub.

And please post if doing this works, it sounds like a workable solution
to the namespace problem.