Remarks about Hoary Preview
Ricardo Pérez López
ricpelo at ono.com
Sat Mar 19 05:06:02 CST 2005
I've installed the Ubuntu Hoary Preview CD, and I think it's great! But
I would like to tell you some "bugs" I've found:
1. During the installation, when I've asked about the full name for the
system user, I can't type accented vocals. My name is Ricardo Pérez
López (you can see the accented 'é' and 'ó', which I can't type in the
installation). The Debian's debian-installer does not have this bug.
2. The installation creates too many locales for my system. I'm Spanish,
and I would like to have only en_US and es_ES. But the system creates
ALL the en_* locales and ALL es_* locales.
3. In my system (Samtron Monitor CRT 17", nVidia graphics card), fonts
looks much better with the "autohinter" enabled. I would like to have
the "autohinter" enabled by default in the fontconfig configuration.
4. Gstreamer is configured by default to use OSS instead of ALSA. Is
this a bug, or a feature? :)
5. Synaptic complains about not installed libgnome2-perl, necessary for
the debconf forms during the packages configuration.
6. mplayer doesn't work at all. I have downloaded the source code from
mplayerhq.hu, created the package and installed it, and now mplayer
works perfectly. (Previously, I must to purge the mplayer-custom
7. The firestarter firewall (from universe) does not appear in the
menus. And, when it starts or stops, the message is not very
Starting firestarter firewall: done.
instead of the much beautiful
Starting firestarter ..... [ ok ]
like the others.
8. totem-xine works much better than totem-gstreamer. The
totem-gstreamer viewer works slower with videos, and doesn't understand
all video formats. totem-xine does. I think totem-xine would be the
default, instead of totem-gstreamer.
9. And finally, there are untranslated messages during the installation,
and in the update-notifier. I would like to help about that. Can I use
Rosetta to finish the translations?
I must to say that I have the system perfectly upgraded since the
installation (I installed it yesterday, friday 18).
Do I need to open bugreports in bugzilla for the above "bugs"? Is
sufficient to post it here?
Thanks a lot for this superb job. Ubuntu is the best distro for me, and
no doubt it will be for many years.
More information about the ubuntu-devel